Monday, August 13, 2012

Kirsten's 6th Birthday - "Sew" Much Fun

The Theme


What do you say when your soon-to-be 6 year old daughter tells you that she has the perfect 'thoom' (theme) for her 6th birthday? A Lalaloopsy Party!  You take a deep breathe and say, "That sounds awesome!" Then quickly being to figure out how to spin this so it can be done.

I am not sure how I survived before the Internet or Pinterest... but count my blessings that both exist. So with a few clicks and some time browsing, we were able to pull off some fabulous fun!

The Invitation


Since Lalaloopsy is "Sew Magical! Sew Cute!" I searched for some inspiration for Lalaloopsy & sewing parties. We started with an invitation that we created from scratch in Photoshop after finding this idea on Etsy. I wanted to cut and hand sew paper and button invitations, but I figured mailing would be a nightmare... so printed invitations it was.


A Banner


Since I didn't sew for the invitations, I decided to create a bunting-type banner for the party.



Some paper, fabric scraps, buttons, a needle & thread... & voilĂ ..... a nifty little banner (if I do say so myself)!

Kirsten's Dress


And by now, you may have noticed Kirsten's dress, which I wish I could take credit for making! Thanks to Lea of Old World Handworks we had a handmade dress with ribbons, buttons and a fabulous embroidered trim.


I am not a cook. But desserts & baking are my thing! Well, at least they are the place I am not afraid to test my luck. So on to the cake...

Dessert


I am sure by now we have all seen the Martha Stewart masterpiece, Rainbow Cake (which I wanted to make last year for Kirsten's Rainbows & Unicorns 5th Birthday Party but choose tie-dye cupcakes instead). It really didn't have anything to do with our 'thoom', but I knew it would be a show stopper.




I must admit... I did not make the cake from scratch (which I usually have no problem attempting)!  And I was glad I didn't since this cake was a bit time consuming. I did make my favorite buttercream recipe though (big Martha Stewart fan). All the work was well worth the pure joy in Kirsten's eyes when we cut into her cake!

I also have to plug my most recent go to dessert because they are not only the most delicious things in the world, but also the easiest dessert to make... No Bake Peanut Butter Bars! Once again they were a crowd pleaser.


And finally with some help from some nonpareils & cupcake liners, we fancied up some mini ice cream sandwiches for another finger licking treat.



The Favors

If you know me well, you know I can make bows with my eyes closed!  Actually it is just that I have had a lot of practice making them for the flip flops & hair clips that I make.  So naturally, the girls' favors were hair bows and clips.




The boys' favors (compliments of Michaels) didn't quite match our theme, so we just tied it all together with a simple favor tag.







No comments:

Post a Comment