Wednesday, February 27, 2013

100th Day of School


I must say, that as a teacher (maybe it is because I have always taught grades 2 through 5), I never really understood why we celebrate the 100th day… But as a mom of a kindergartener and a first grader, I understand the sheer excitement that they have expressed about the upcoming 100th day for the last several days.

And as mom of these two girls that are growing up way too fast, I came to the disappointing realization, that this was the second and final time that making a hundredth day poster would consume our February nights!  I mean I could really care less about making anymore 100th Day posters… it’s just my babies are growing up!

Last year, when presented with her 100th Day poster assignment, Kirsten opted to take the creative route. Which of course meant putting mommy to work.  I like a girl with a plan! Her idea was to create a winter scene with 100 cotton ball snowflakes.  In the center she wanted, who else, but herself ice skating on a lake like a “fancy ice skater.” When I mention that we did not have any photos of her looking very fancy on skates, she replied, “Well you can just make one!”

Oh how smart my munchkin of just 5 was!  Of course mommy could find a photo of a fancy skater and superimpose her daughter’s head on it…



Julia’s personality was completely and totally reflected in her 100th Day creation as well.  My quick and carefree child wanted 100 hearts… no discussion of options… no cares for conversation of the millions of possibilities.  Just hearts… and those hearts had to be glued inside hearts…



I digress back to my disheartening realization that this might very well be our final 100th day celebration… so why not celebrate with a 100th Day dinner (which, of course, is an excuse to make pancakes for dinner)!  These were not our favorite cake batter pancakes, but is there a child out there that would pass up pancakes and 100 (give or take 100) sprinkles?



The best part of the day was when Julia crawled into bed this evening. Just like every other night, she asked if she could wear a dress tomorrow.  And just like every other night, I supply my routine answer of either, “yes” (if she opted for a non-dress option that day) or tonight’s answer, “no, you picked the dress for today, so tomorrow we will wear the other outfit.”

Even though my girls are growing up way too fast, Julia’s response captured her innocence (which I hope she will never outgrow). “But Mommy if today was the 100th day then tomorrow is my last day of school and I really want to wear a dress on the last day of school.”

No comments:

Post a Comment