Sunday, May 12, 2013

Silhouette Plates

So during my Mother's Day pedicure today, I realized I needed something crafty for my mom to open from her granddaughters this Mother's Day. And yes, of course, Mother's Day would be tomorrow. Luckily, and conveniently, my nail place is just a few doors down from one of my FAVORITE places... Dollar Tree!

Flower pots... vases... picture frames... all of your crafting staples crossed my mind. But one of the best things about Dollar Tree is that you never know what crafting wonders you are going to find. So for  today, it was the glasses and plates aisle that sparked the idea for a pair of silhouette plates.

I must say, that this was one of the fastest DIY projects ever and they really are super cute. It also was one of the cheapest... two salad plates ($2 plus tax... score!) and a Sharpie (who doesn't have one lying around).


Step 1: To create the silhouettes for the plates, start with a profile picture of your subject.  It probably took longer to get Julia to pose then it did to make the entire project.

Step 2: Scale the photo to the perfect size directly on your computer screen. Use your screen as a light box and trace the image onto paper.


Step 3: Cut the silhouette out.


Step 4: Center stencil on a pre-washed plate. Trace your silhouette stencil. I used an ultra fine point Sharpie for this part.

Step 5: Color in your outline with a fine point Sharpie.


Step 6: Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.



That simple! And super cute!








No comments:

Post a Comment